Sunday, January 28, 2007

It's Almost Like Communism- Except Not

I've lived in Japan for two years, and I played tennis while I lived there. I've played tennis against many Japanese high school kids. From what I have come to learn, kids there pick something-either a sport or a subject-that they start to go all out on, every day, when they're between 5 and 10 years old. A lot of the kids I played matches against had been playing since age 8, 5, 6, etc. I always put up a good fight, having only played for 2 or 3, but my point is that they pursued something vigorously. American kids, unless they have a gift, or their parents have money, don't tend to follow the same path. Japan is very technologically advanced, and many kids do play arcade games, etc., but they don't devote their entire lives to it- besides, they cannot afford to when the culture has so much pressure riding on their backs to be successful.

Discussion Question: Although American culture is far from Japanese culture, what do you feel it would take for the education system in America to shift to a policy of pushing kids at a young age to pursue some one or two specialities, so that by the time they become an adult, they have mastered one or two arts?

1 comment:

Kellen said...

Personally I don't think that type of shift is very possible, at least in the near future. American and European culture I think really emphasize balance and being knowledgeable in many fields. I actually almost believe that this is a good idea. When you think about it if someone is talented or interested in something, they're going to pursue and learn as much as they can about it naturally. It's probably better to have a general knowledge of things and then as you get older become more specific or focused. If you're focused on one or two things at an early age how are you going to know if there's something else out there that you don't appreciate even more?